Five years ago, 2018 • R.M. Paterson Elementary students learn entrepreneurial skills by opening Kid Market. • County history is incorporated into the eighth-grade curriculum at all Clay …
Five years ago, 2018
• R.M. Paterson Elementary students learn entrepreneurial skills by opening Kid Market.
• County history is incorporated into the eighth-grade curriculum at all Clay County District Schools.
• Stephanie Melton, an exceptional student education behavioral health assistant at W.E. Cherry Elementary, is honored as the Florida School-Related Employee of the Year.
10 years ago, 2013
• Volunteers and staff with the Wings of Dreams Museum transported donated artifacts from the Space Shuttle Program to the Keystone Heights Airport.
• Residents express outrage at the county commission meeting to oppose an asphalt plant on Chason Road near County Road 15A.
• The BCC extended a moratorium on transportation and educational impact fees in response to the recession.
20 years ago, 2003
• Orange Park High sophomore Michael Halliburton was caught making two acid bombs inside a gym storage closet on the last day of school.
• Thousands attend the annual Florida Striders 5K and RiverFest in Green Cove Springs.
• More than 2,000 seniors graduate from Clay County high schools.
30 years ago, 1993
• Members of the Clay High football teams were auctioned off to run errands and perform odd jobs to raise $200 for a classmate, Kirsty Harp, who fell into a coma after suffering a brain aneurysm a month earlier.
• River Arts Fest is staged in Orange Park.
• The Green Cove Springs City Council votes to extend the curfew for children younger than 18 from 10 p.m. to 6 p.m.
40 years ago, 1983
• Orange Park High Principal Jim Booth calls on parents and the community to work together in combating alcohol use by teens.
• The planning and zoning staff for the county tells commissioners it doesn’t have the staff to enforce tree ordinances.
• Jax Discount Liquors advertises the sale of a case of Dixie beer for only $4.99.