Five years ago, 2018 • The county commission agrees to pay $2.1 million to place a resource officer in all 44 district-owned schools after the school board struggles to fund the expense. • …
Five years ago, 2018
• The county commission agrees to pay $2.1 million to place a resource officer in all 44 district-owned schools after the school board struggles to fund the expense.
• Katie Vineyard, the COO at Challenge Enterprises, wins the top award at the Celebrate Clay breakfast highlighting the county’s leading nonprofits.
• Chick-fil-A and Metro Diner provide the soup for the Salvation Army’s annual Empty Bowls fundraiser in Orange Park.
10 years ago, 2013
• The trial for Jacksonville’s Cornelius Walston, who was charged with stabbing David Wiley Smith and Kevin Lee Martin to death during a brawl at Club Myth on Fleming Island, starts.
• The Americans United for the Separation of Church and State urge the Board of County Commissioners to keep “In God We Trust” to the county’s seal.
• The Florida Office of Financial Regulations closes Heritage Bank in Orange Park and Ponte Vedra.
20 years ago, 2003
• Jennifer Carroll garners 86% of the vote in Clay County and 60% in Duval to win the District 13 seat to the Florida House of Representatives.
• Paul Nichols announces he will built 76 “dockominiums” – condos built at Doctors Inlet where residents will have private moorings.
• The Clay County Sheriff’s Office continues its investigation into the death of Mary Nelson, whose body was found lying on the side of Aurora Boulevard.
30 years ago, 1993
• The school board decides to remove seventh and eighth grade students from Clay High after they realize they were mature enough to deal with the pressures of high school.
• Keystone Heights residents hope water from the mining area at Camp Blanding will be diverted to Brooklyn and Geneva lakes.
• Orange Park Public Works Director Bill Southan and supervisor John Tatem both resign amid allegations of misconduct in the department.
40 years ago, 1983
• To conform with the Southern Association of Colleges and Standards, middle schools in Clay County are required to replace varsity sports with intramural sports.
• The Orange Park High baseball team defeats Ed White, 11-8, to win the Gateway Championship.
• Despite being a year old, the county said it will accept bids to repair the Clay County tag agency after it was damaged by high winds.