Vietnam Veterans to award two scholarshipsCLAY COUNTY – Vietnam Veterans of America Col. William G. Byrns Clay County Chapter 1059 is offering two $1,500 scholarships to graduating seniors from …
Vietnam Veterans to award two scholarships
CLAY COUNTY – Vietnam Veterans of America Col. William G. Byrns Clay County Chapter 1059 is offering two $1,500 scholarships to graduating seniors from Clay County highs, homeschoolers, private schools and Camp Blanding Youth ChalleNGe.
The application deadline is April 30.
The scholarship, named in honor of former VVA 1059 member Sid Newberg, is also open to relatives of current Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 1059. All applicants, except for VVA Chapter 1059 family members, must be residents of Clay County and planning to attend any post-high school accredited university, junior college or vocational/technical school.
The criteria to apply includes:
• A letter telling us about yourself, your life goals, and your plans for the future. Include your name, address, phone number and email address; an official, original letter of acceptance to an accredited four-year university, two-year college, or trade school on official letterhead.
• An essay, with a minimum of 500 words, based on an interview with a veteran, or active-duty member, from any branch of the United States military. The interview should include a veteran’s experiences while serving either here or abroad or a significant mission in which he/she participated.
• An essay is comprised of the introduction, the main points (body), and the conclusion. The essay will be judged on originality, grammar and spelling.
• A letter of recommendation from a school faculty member who is a school counselor, principal or teacher.
• A list of your community service, awards, and recognitions received during grades 9-12. Provide copies of documentation.
If any of the above attachments are missing, the application will be unqualified and won’t be considered.
Recipients of the scholarship will be announced at the Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 1059 meeting on June 3.
Please mail the completed application on or before the deadline to: Vietnam Veterans Scholarship, P.O. Box 626, Orange Park, FL 32067-0626. For more information email Joanne Byrns at email@example.com or call (904) 705-1074.
Free financial-themed classes available to students
CLAY COUNTY – April is Money Makers Month at Outschool, a leading online education platform for children.
To help kids learn the importance of personal finance and money matters, Outschool is hosting FREE finance and entrepreneurial-themed classes during the month to help foster lifelong skills in money management and entrepreneurism. All of the classes will be hosted during live video chats with financial experts.
The schedule includes:
• Helping Learners Understand How to Pay for College, hosted by Amy Jenkins with Meadow, on April 28.
• I Am a Mogul; My First Business Plan: design your business plan with Tamara Zantell, the founder of Raising a Mogul, an expert on supporting learners to become entrepreneurs, on April 29.
• Ryan’s Recycling, Building a Business to Save the Planet Listen and Learn with the CEO of Ryan’s Recycling Company, on April 29.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here