Five years ago, 2017
• Sarah Campbell is selected by the Orange Park Town Council as the new town manager eight days after Jim Hanson resigned.• The nonprofit organization, Changing …
Five years ago, 2017
• Sarah Campbell is selected by the Orange Park Town Council as the new town manager eight days after Jim Hanson resigned.
• The nonprofit organization, Changing Homelessness, canvasses shopping center parking lots before sunrise to get an accurate count of homeless veterans in the county.
• Green Cove Springs City Council considers a plan to make Wi-Fi available at Spring Park.
10 years ago, 2012
• Charlie Van Zant uses his military service, former position on the school board and the fact he didn’t oppose Russell Baptist Church Paster Ron Baker’s plan to hold prayer service circles at the flagpoles at four elementary schools as the catalyst to win the election for Superintendent over incumbent Ben Wortham.
• Newcomer Tara Green win the primary election to be the next Clerk and Comptroller of the County Court.
• Sheriff Rick Beseler wins re-election during the primary. He is unopposed in primary election.
20 years ago, 2002
• The state launches a manhunt for 300 suspected sexual predators, including Miguel A. Cardoza, 21, and Rodney L. Prevatt, 21, who are wanted in Clay County for violation of probation after being convicted of being sexual predators.
• The cost of traffic tickets was increased by $3 by the Clay County Board of Commissioners.
• Walter J. Morgan, 65, is arrested for stalking a 16-year-old girl while she was walking on County Road 218.
30 years ago, 1992
• A week after his body was discovered in some woods in Green Cove Springs, there has been no arrest in the murder of former Orange Park sanitation worker Larry Brister.
• The creation of a Municipal Service Benefit District means residents who live on private dirt roads are eligible for county maintenance.
• John Neumann was arrested for loitering after a Green Cove Springs Police Department officer found him on the driving range of the Reynolds Park Golf Course at 3:27 a.m.
40 years ago, 1982
• Leroy Wood is sentenced to 30 years for the shotgun slaying of Frank Davis.
• Sen. Lawton Chiles addresses the Clay County Executive Committee’s Biennial Dinner Dance.
• Republican gubernatorial candidate “Skip” Bafalis campaigns in Clay County.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here