Five years ago, 2016
• Murder suspect Ozell McNabb Jr. surrenders in St. Johns County and is returned to Clay to face charges of armed robbery and the shooting of 18-year-old former Middleburg High baseball player Kolton Shearer.
• The search for a new county attorney is whittled to five finalists – David D’Agata, Courtney Grimm, Andrew Lannon, John Turner and Regina Ross.
• Clay County nonprofits collect 3,000 pounds of food for the flood-ravaged residents of West Virginia flooding.
10 years ago, 2011
• The BCC unanimously agrees on four recommendations of the Sports Development Advisory Committee, including hiring a full-time sports manager and establishing a nonprofit sports and recreation council.
• Todd A. Zehner is appointed director of finance and operations at St. Johns Country Day School.
• The Florida Department of Transportation starts a $2.1 million project to improve a 5.1-mile stretch of County Road 315C between State Road 21 and County Road 14.
20 years ago, 2001
• The Orange Park Town Council decides it wants to move town attorneys John Kopelousos and Rob Bradley from interim status to full-time.
• A Middleburg man was rushed to the hospital after another man dropped a chainsaw and struck Jeffrey Tuttle in the face with it while they cut down a tree.
• Former Clay High wrestler P.J. Cobbert helps Team Florida win the overall title at the National Open Wrestling Championships by winning the 160-pound senior high division.
30 years ago, 1991
• John Keene, the Clay County Clerk of the Circuit Court, opens a new office in Keystone Heights.
• By a 4-0 vote, the Green Cove Springs City Council approved a curfew for minors in city areas between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
• Public Works Director Jimmy Weeks was temporarily reassigned as the county’s development director following the resignation of Keith Hadden.
40 years ago, 1981
• State attorney Ed Austin and Clay County Clerk George Carlisle continue their dispute over use of the fourth floor at the Clay County Courthouse.
• County commissioners ask the City of Jacksonville to consider building a toll road on Branan Field Road to help alleviate traffic problems on Blanding Boulevard.
• The new BCC budget shows a tax increase of 1.5 mills with the likelihood of another increase later in the year.