Five years ago, 2016• Republican candidates Charlie Van Zant and Addison Davis debate on how they would run the Clay County School District as the Superintendent.• The former owners of an …
Five years ago, 2016
• Republican candidates Charlie Van Zant and Addison Davis debate on how they would run the Clay County School District as the Superintendent.
• The former owners of an Orange Park nightclub and the Board of County Commissioners will go to court five years after restrictions were imposed that essentially forced the club to close after the BCC determined the property was an incubator of crime.
• Ned Broyles, a 101-year-old veteran, moves to Clay County to retire at Allegro-Fleming Island.
10 years ago, 2011
• With a drought index of 637, the county imposes a burning bad to reduce the chances of wildfires.
• For the eighth year in a row, the Clay County Agriculture Fair receives a blue ribbon from the Florida Federation of Fairs.
• The First Assembly of God open sand holds its first worship services in Orange Park.
20 years ago, 2001
• Drivers and emergency vehicles face gridlock on Kingsley Avenue with the closure of the busy roadway for repairs at the railroad crossing. Traffic along Orange and Milwaukee avenues, Doctors Lake Drive and Dogwood Lane has been overwhelming, residents said.
• Citing health concerns, Scott Walker resigns as the executive director of the Clay Chamber.
• D-Day veteran Cpl. Roger Head finally received his Purple Heart during a ceremony at Camp Blanding.
30 years ago, 1991
• The Board of County Commission approve funding to turn the Colonial Inn on County Road 218 and State Road 16 into the county’s first community center.
• The Orange Park Library expansion big award decision was delayed until June 11 meeting.
• Green Cove Springs Police Chief Gail Russell met with members of the local N.A.A.C.P. at Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church to discuss a plan for a local curfew.
40 years ago, 1981
• A sluggish economy is to blame for slow tax certificate sales, according to Tax Collector Wayne Geiger.
• Former Clay High graduate Adam Paterson completes an internship with Sen. Richard H. Langley.
• Lyn Gustafson qualifies for the state 4-H horse show with Mr. Buck Diamond.