Five years ago, 2018
As Clay County prepares for a new hurricane season, there are hundreds of residents still wading through messy waters from Hurricane Irma a year earlier as federal and state money for repairs from federal and state sources is slow to offer any relief.
Five years ago, 2018
• As Clay County prepares for a new hurricane season, there are hundreds of residents still wading through messy waters from Hurricane Irma a year earlier as federal and state money for repairs from federal and state sources is slow to offer any relief.
• The search to replace Danielle Judd as the City Manager for Green Cove Springs narrows to 12 finalists.
• The Orange Park Town Council express anger about the shoddy work done by several construction projects on Kingsley East and Plainfield Avenue.
10 years ago, 2013
• Sheriff Rick Beseler lays out his plan to build a multi-purpose facility that includes a low-security prison gun range, storage and training.
• The Orange Park Town Council votes against raising the millage rate from 6.3 to 6.6 mills.
• A horse and four goats were found abandoned at a property where law enforcement uncovered elaborate marijuana-growing bunkers in Penney Farms.
20 years ago, 2003
• Orange Park High football coach Roan McCrone resigns to become an assistant at Southwest Missouri State.
• Brian Curtis Avery was charged with second-degree murder of his friend, Keith Kyle Lavinder.
• Clay High football coach William Ronald Riddle retires after 37 years on the Blue Devils sideline.
30 years ago, 1993
• The Hospital Corporation of America tours Clay Memorial Hospital in Green Cove Springs to consider reopening it.
• Former Clay High football coach Tony Mathison appeals his firing with the Florida Department of Education because he said it came “without cause and on hearsay alone” after seven players were suspended from the spring game for being at a party where alcohol was served.
• The Clay County Board of County Commissioners are expected to make a final vote on a 10-acre donation by the Reinhold Corporation for a water-retention facility at the Rosemary Hill Landfill.
40 years ago, 1983
• The Orange Park Community Hospital upgrades its emergency services to handle more patients with serious injuries.
• The county learns widening State Road 21 from Knight Boxx Road to Branan Field Road will cost $20 million.
• County and Orange Park officials meet to work out an agreement after Orange Park residents said they are double-taxed. The town sued the county a year earlier to increase services since they were paying county taxes.