CLAY COUNTY – Vietnam Veterans of America Col. William G. Byrns Clay County Chapter 1059 is offering two $1,000 scholarships to graduating seniors from Clay County high schools, homeschoolers, …
CLAY COUNTY – Vietnam Veterans of America Col. William G. Byrns Clay County Chapter 1059 is offering two $1,000 scholarships to graduating seniors from Clay County high schools, homeschoolers, private schools or the Camp Blanding Youth Challenge. The deadline to submit applications is April 30.
The scholarship, named in honor of former VVA 1059 member Sid Newberg is also open to relatives of current members of Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 1059. All applicants, except for VVA members’ families, must be residents of Clay County and planning to attend any post-high school accredited university, junior college or vocational/technical school.
Criteria to apply:
• An attachment with name, address, phone number and email address with a letter telling explaining yourself, your life goals and plans for the future.
• An attachment with an official original letter of acceptance to an accredited four-year university, two-year college or trade school.
• An attachment with a minimum 500-word essay based on an interview with a veteran, or active-duty member, from any branch of the U.S. military. The interview should include a veteran’s experiences while serving either here or abroad or a significant mission in which he/she participated. An essay is comprised of the introduction, the body with main points and the conclusion. The essay will be judged on originality, grammar and spelling.
• An attachment with a letter of recommendation from a school faculty member who can either be a school counselor, principal, or teacher.
• An attachment with your community service, awards and recognitions received during grades 9-12.
The deadline for the completed application is on or before April 30. Recipients of the scholarship will be announced at the Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 1059 meeting on June 5.
Please mail completed application to Vietnam Veterans Scholarship, P.O. Box 626, Orange Park, 32067-0626 on or before April 30.
For more information email Mary Anne Newman at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (904) 591-4544.