Five years ago, 2016
• Green Cove Springs learns it will get $250,000 from the state to help pay for a massive restoration of Historic Spring Park.
• The county is told to maximize construction of the First Coast Expressway, create an entrepreneurial ecosystem and to brand Clay County with recognizable signage at its borders in a five-year economic development plan. By Balmoral Group.
• Ln Houdini won the $50,000 James J. Patton Silver Cup stakes race at the Orange Park Kennel Club.
10 years ago, 2011
• The Clay County Agriculture Fair’s “Get Caught Going Green Handed” program gives patrons incentives and prizes for recycling.
• Clay County is ranked sixth in Florida by the Department of Health despite having higher-than-average levels of tobacco use.
• The Green Cove Springs City Council votes to re-roof the old Paul Lawrence Dunbar School, the current home of the Augusta Savage Arts and Community Center, for $317,300
20 years ago, 2001
• The Clay County Sheriff’s Office informed owners of electronic security systems they could face fines for false alarms if the county allows it to enforce existing ordinances.
• Approximately 3,500 residents attend the Clay Electric Annual Meeting in Keystone Heights.
• The Green Cove Springs Police Department offers a $1,000 reward for information leading to the location of Yvonne Belcher, who’s been missing since Dec. 22, 2000.
30 years ago, 1991
• The Clay County School Board approves a plan to build R.M. Patterson Elementary on Fleming Island.
• The art class from Clay High will paint a mural on the wall at the Sawyer Deel parking lot off Orange Avenue in Green Cove Springs.
• Tom Foulk defeats Barbara Davidson for a seat on the Orange Park Town Council.
40 years ago, 1981
• Cheryl Sauls of Orange Park is crowned as Miss Clay County.
• Public outcry forces a plan to dump sludge on land owned by the Gilman Paper Company.
• Patrick Brewer wins a new murder trial after the Florida Supreme Court rules he was coerced to giving an oral confession for killing an Orange Park restaurant owner.