FLEMING ISLAND – The Florida Department of Health in Clay has issued a Health Alert for the presence of harmful blue-green algal toxins in Swimming Pen Creek at Whitey’s Fish …
FLEMING ISLAND – The Florida Department of Health in Clay has issued a Health Alert for the presence of harmful blue-green algal toxins in Swimming Pen Creek at Whitey’s Fish Camp.
This is in response to a water sample taken on June 9. The public should exercise caution in and around Swimming Pen Creek at Whitey’s Fish Camp.Residents and visitors are advised to take the following precautions:
• Do not drink, swim, wade, use personal watercraft, water ski, or boat in waters where there is a visible bloom.
• Wash your skin and clothing with soap and water if you have contact with algae or discolored or smelly water.
• Keep pets away from the area. Waters, where there are algae blooms, are not safe for animals. Pets and livestock should have a different source of water when algae blooms are present.
• Do not cook or clean dishes with water contaminated by algae blooms. Boiling the water will not eliminate the toxins.
• Eating fillets from healthy fish caught in freshwater lakes experiencing blooms is safe. Rinse fish fillets with tap or bottled water, throw out the guts and cook fish well.
• Do not eat shellfish in waters with algae blooms.
What is blue-green algae?
Blue-green algae are a type of bacteria that is common in Florida’s freshwater environments.
A bloom occurs when rapid growth of algae leads to an accumulation of individual cells that discolor water and often produce floating mats that emit unpleasant odors.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here