(BPT) - Now is the perfect time to reflect on past resolutions and establish goals that will help you kick off the new year right. Maybe you want to travel, read more books, learn a new skill or take up a new hobby. Whatever resolutions you set, it's important to create life-long habits to support your goals and overall wellness.
Not sure where to start? Registered dietitian Dalina Soto has three simple tips to set yourself up for success in 2022.
1. Prioritize self-care
You don't have to be sitting in a bubble bath to practice self-care. It's all about finding moments to relax, refresh and enjoy the things you love. If you're an early bird, try taking your morning coffee outdoors or make a cozy spot in your home to write, meditate or read. If you're more of a night owl, carve out time before bed to recharge and reset. Whatever you decide to do, make sure it's something that rejuvenates you so you can tackle the rest of the day as your best self.
2. Get moving
Instead of making a resolution to go to the gym three times a week, think about how you can incorporate physical activity into your daily life through smaller steps that are easier to keep up with. Maybe every hour, you get up and take a walk around the office or do a few stretches at your desk. Perhaps you'll start your day with a 10-minute yoga session or invite your friends to go on a lunch walk. All these movements add up and will help improve your mood, promote better sleep and even give you more energy to accomplish your other goals.
3. Fuel up on wholesome nutrition
Getting enough key nutrients at every meal is essential to your physical and mental health. When you're properly fueled, you can better concentrate on your goals and how to achieve them. Instead of starting the new year with a restrictive diet, think of ways you can add wholesome, nutritious ingredients to your recipes.
"It's important to give your body the best fuel possible, and there are many foods that are likely already in your diet that can provide what your body needs," says Soto. "Eggland's Best eggs, for example, contain superior nutrition such as six times more vitamin D, more than double the Omega-3s, 10 times more vitamin E and 25% less saturated fat compared to ordinary eggs, making them the perfect ingredient to add to any of your go-to recipes in the new year."
Are you looking for a delicious recipe to help fuel your body throughout the day? Check out this recipe that packs a nutritious and filling punch with chicken and Eggland's Best eggs.
Prep time: 25 minutes; Cook time: 25 minutes; Makes 4 servings
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or tenders
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Rice and peppers
4 Eggland's Best Hard-Cooked Peeled Eggs, sliced
1 1/2 cups brown rice
3 cups chicken broth
2 peppers, sliced in strips
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
1. In large bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, onion powder, pepper and smoked paprika. Add chicken and toss well. Cover and place in fridge.
2. Add chicken broth to medium-size pot, bring to boil, then add the rice. Stir and place lid on pot and turn heat down to low. Allow rice to cook until all the water is gone and rice is no longer hard, about 30 minutes.
3. While rice is cooking, heat two skillets to medium-high heat.
4. Place peppers in zip-top bag and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Seal and shake well to coat.
5. In skillet, sauté chicken for 3-4 minutes per side, flipping a couple of times until cooked through.
6. While chicken is cooking, cook peppers for about 5 minutes, flipping once or twice in another skillet.
7. Remove everything and let cool for 5 minutes. Once cool, dice chicken into cubes.
8. To assemble, divide rice among four bowls. Top each with equal amounts of chicken, pepper and Eggland's Best Hard-Cooked Peeled Eggs slices.
9. Garnish with shredded cheese and enjoy!